Monday, 29 March 2010

Communitarian v Libertarian

Where does the line sit between the needs of the society and the needs of the members of that society? And when is it okay to cross that line?
At my age, in my social circle, in my Province it's much more likely that I end up chatting with a Socialist, or at least a liberal when I chat at all about politics. And I have to admit that their opinions surprise me. Sometimes I'm even shocked by what seems a ridiculously naive and wasteful viewpoint. But then sometimes, just sometimes, I'm rooting for 'em.

Libertarian : Nozick quite aptly summarises it in two words : Minimal State. If you use the word "libertarian" people mention Ayn Rand. But Ayn Rand was -not- a philosopher, she was a fiction writer who used books to push her own untried and unproven ideas on people that really should know better. Libertarianism is the idea that each person should be free to live their own lives as they see fit. Security and judicial functions are needed--that's where the Minimal state comes in--but that doesn't mean one shouldn't help those in need. Charity is a moral and good thing to do. But the government, to libertarians, isn't for -making- you do it.
Communitarian : Like socialism without the free love and free condoms. The community must come first because without the community there is no individual. We're not talking about drones, of course, but that a person is individuated in respect to their community; you are different depending on which society you are in. It's not so much that everyone deserves to be taken care of but rather that everyone needs to be taken care of to ensure the health of the community.

Somehow, though, they're not exclusive. I think of myself as a Social Libertarian. Universal Healthcare with a Private Option? Yes, I'm not sure how to make it sustainable but I sure do believe in it. Why? Because it ensures the continuation of the society as a whole, not just the health of those that can afford it. Universal Free Education? Yes, (and not just because I'm a student) if we better the minds and abilities of everyone then the standard of living may rise for everyone. I don't accept the idea that the only way to improve your lot is by climbing over the bodies of others. Why do I care about improving Society? Because there's no other reason for us to be here than to make sure it's still here for others down the line. Gain as much wealth as you want--you'll still die. And whether that wealth goes to your descendents or back to the society you came from it ain't yours no more.

Be comfortable, be happy, but try to let others be happy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment