I went to my middle cousin's (like middle sibling, explanatory?) wedding yesterday. Had an inordinately large amount of fun. Talked to family in a way I haven't in quite some time, recalling the past without bitterness or anger.
The only mar on an otherwise perfect outting was when the gentlemen stepped outside. Now, it might seem kind of odd to separate the genders in this day an age, for my father to take his son, son-in-law and my flavour of the month (okay, okay, flavour of the decade) outside for a scotch and a cigar, but he does. And as usual, I latched onto a pretense in order to sneak a quick puff of a small (but delicious) mini-stogie. And my father suggested that I stay and have one of my own.
I didn't accept my father's invitation because I know that as much as I can relate more to the guys, and the conversation is loads more to my interest, I'm still a girlie girl and they may feel it necessary to censor their conversation so as not to offend me. Or I'd stear the subject closer to something I can share. The conversation still at the table was about things that don't affect my life. I do not have children, have no hope of owning a house and redecorating in the near future, and will probably never have a relationship ceremony (unless flavour-of-the-decade wins the lottery in ten years or so?) so couldn't speak on anything that my mother, sister and brother's girlfriend had to talk about. (They don't only talk about this stuff, of course, but did I mention it was a WEDDING?)
I don't belong with the men. Yet, the conversation that had erupted since the exodus of Y chromosomes didn't interest me either.
I'm not a lesbian, but I'm not straight. I'm not a socialist but I'm not a conservative. I'm not young but I'm not old.
I am absolutely nothing that can be labelled...and I like labels.
This is going to be a long decade.
Hahaha, I feel you... but if there is one thing I've realized in the last few months is the extent in which men lack in the friendship department. They need an excuse to spend time together so I guess we gotta give 'em their scotch and cigars.
ReplyDeleteHope you have fun at my wedding too, are you still Jenn's date?
~ the snafu
ps. Labels are for soup cans girl!
Oh, I know, that's why I leave them to it. Just sometimes I wish I was a guy.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure I'll have as much (if not more since -my- parents aren't there) fun next weekend. And I promise you won't find me on the balcony talking to men I don't actually know because I want their cigars.
Labels are also for insecure teens that would rather pic obvious labels for themselves than admit the internal labels that society at large aren't happy with.