Money and the Desire for Money are the Road to Hell
If you could have anything, anything at all, what would it be?
I can't answer that definite with finality for myself, easily. If I could have anything at all it would begin with a desire for the first breath upon waking (or not if you've read earlier entries). I am fully convinced that to want something is in and of itself the entire point of existence. For some it is the wanting of dinner, for others the wanting of a home of their own. Still others wish for an apartment as delicious, and as well placed, as those of their friends. Or a car, a promotion, a grade, a position, a desk, a person...
Our brains are geared for envy. The level of happiness we feel is directly related to the level of success we feel that surpasses that of our colleagues, peers and surroundings. North America cannot be any more happy than Japan, China, England, Spain, Greece...or North Korea. Especially North Korea and China, really, since they have such firm censorship that the people within cannot know how their countries compare in wealth and "happiness" to other countries--they can feel as happy as their governments tell them they should be (even if some are eating the same food as their goats).
The grass is always greener. Keeping up with the Joneses. Trite, simple phrases. But they are so for a reason. We are happiest when we succeed...a by-product of being descendents of those coming down from the trees. And we judge and measure our success against those around us.
I'm very lucky to know that as a professional student I'll never measure up to my friends in financial success and can therefore dedicate my time and intention towards building my ivory tower.
I've just put in new hardwood floors.
No comments:
Post a Comment