Sunday, 14 November 2010

Pulchritudo Est Maior Sapientia

Beauty is Greater than Wisdom

"So smart it's scary."
That's how I've been described by acquaintances, friends, strangers in bars. I can't say it's really thrilling because I think intelligence is nothing to be proud of. I was born with the brains I have, I have no reason to think I'm better than others. I'm also a very very fast runner. No one says I'm so quick it's scary. It's supposed to be a backwards kind of compliment, I'm sure. But saying I'm the above basically describes the person speaking as somewhat less intelligent than I. That's just wrong.
We idolise musicians, actors, sports stars. We don't idolise research scientists, doctors,...,not even philosophers (and of COURSE we should idolise them!) Everyone we idolise can do something we can't. So to describe my brains as something feared, even when the fear is colloquial, is making a mockery of something that we all have. I use large words. I speak with correct (or nearly correct) grammar. I like to find out things that don't matter, and I argue when I don't agree. But there's absolutely  no reason to think that I'm any more intelligent or any smarter than anyone else.

Can't you love me because I'm beautiful?

No comments:

Post a Comment