I'm going to attempt a daily blog, since with school and other things (read : social life) I am again not participating in NaNoWriMo. And yes, I'm fully aware that I'm not beginning at the beginning, so to speak. I will continue to aim to discuss philosophy in daily life, but I'm sure on occassion there will be frivolity. Perhaps on those days I will simply link toWhen Not To Say We Should Still Be Friends and continue with my romantic obsession with romance. We shall see.
In the meantime, I have a question : how tightly do you stick to your moral values? And when you fail to stick to what you have always believed to be right, do you suffer the cognitive dissonance in silence or do you reevaluate your world view?
I think I'm aiming for a corresponding theory with enough cohesion to justify my true beliefs, but I'm a pragmatist. Why suffer for my mistakes when my weak flesh doesn't stand up to my lofty ideals?
I lie, sometimes, because it's easier. Not about the big stuff, which is strange. But since I believe lying is a form of shame and I try not to do anything I'm ashamed of, I shouldn't lie. Yet I find myself doing it more often these days, in an effort not to disappoint people who have different values or ideas than I do. I could stand up for myself, justify why I do or say something instead of lying...but it doesn't seem worth it sometimes. I suspect it's my hedonistic side sticking out. Why fight when it's not going to get what you want? Still, I sometimes chide myself...
Why do we do what we know we shouldn't?
Where do we get the idea that lying is inherently wrong. That is, what is wrong with moral relativism especially wrt lying? If lying averts danger, embarrassment, hurt or other negatives, while the particular lie does no harm, or at most, less harm than the negatives, then wth is wrong with that?
ReplyDeleteBecause I operate on the assumption that lying is an expression of shame. And that's not even to say that shame is wrong but that I prefer to avoid that particular emotion. Rather than lie to avoid embarrassment or hurt to someone, I think it better to not do the action that I would need to lie about.
ReplyDeleteDo no unnecessary harm is the closest thing I can come to to a moral code for myself.
Hmmm, but that assumes the lie is about a direct interaction between the two people involved. It could be about a third party (not the lie, the original action that precipitates the lie).
ReplyDeleteI don't buy that it's an expression of shame. Much of it may be, but I don't think it's inherent.
If it's about someone else then I have absolutely no right to comment, I think.
ReplyDeleteI do agree that there's not always an element of shame, but on the whole...for me it's either because I don't want to have to admit to something or because I don't want to have to go through the hassle of having to explain myself or argue (as I mentioned in the original post). Also, I've mentioned more about lying in my Nov 11th post. : )